Eight Drunken Immortals: The Blog

April 21, 2006

San Jacinto Day

I found out today was the anniversary of the Battle of San Jacinto in which the forces of the Texas militia under the command of Sam Houston handily beat the Mexican army under Santa Ana. As they like to say, "Never Forget." Even now we're still under attack by a Mexican Army and we need to defeat this one also. I wonder what our Alamo or Goliad will be?

Oh, I also forgot. The second ship I was stationed on after Talbot was decommissioned was the USS San Jacinto (CG-56), She was an Aegis cruiser. I was not a member of her commissioning crew but everyone who was, were my crewmates. That was a very different ship than Talbot. I even got in trouble once with the XO for commenting on that when I shouldn't have. I hated a lot of my time aboard her, but now though I still dislike those times, I look back on my time aboard her with some fondness. I was a lot more immature than I am now.